Is your rabbit vaccinated against RHDV2?September 13, 2018
Top Tips to get your pet safely through ChristmasDecember 20, 2018
As we enter firework season, it is important to make sure that your pet is as prepared as possible.
Halloween can be a very stressful time for our pets and we want to encourage all pet owners to prepare their pets well in advance of firework season.
There are a variety of ways to do this and we want to share these top tips.
- Provide a den or hiding place for your pets.
- Use an Adaptil for dogs or Feliway for cats diffuser as close to the den or hiding place as possible, or where your pet spends most of their time.
- There are other products and food that can help to relax your cats and dogs, such as Nutracalm. Call into us for a recommendation for your pet.
- Keep dogs and cats inside during fireworks and check that their microchip details are up to date – we can help with this.
- For rabbits or any small furries, make sure they are brought indoors and cover their cages to reduce any stress. There are products to help them too – call in for more details.
- Walk dogs early in the evening before Halloween.
- Provide distractions in the form of new toys and chews.
- Draw curtains and put the tv or music on to mask any noise.
- Ensure windows, doors and cat flaps remain closed during Halloween night to both prevent pets escaping and reduce the noise.
- Ensure your cats have access to enough litter trays during the Halloween season, especially if you’re keeping them inside.
- Do not punish your pets! This will only make them more distressed.
- Try not to leave your pets alone if fireworks are going off.
- Continue to use Adaptil or Feliway after the Halloween season ends.
We have a variety of products that can help to support your pet throughout the Halloween season so call into us if you want more advice.
Don’t forget to Follow us on Facebook for patient updates, pet photos and competitions.